Grid sell with Outback, solar,and generator [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Apr 30 21:26:36 PDT 2007

Jeff is this a 48 volt battery system?
     is the generator to serve only the critical loads
or all loads?  or critical and gen special loads?  Is
it important that the gen cycle back and forth between
inverter and gen (auto or manual start) or once the
batterys are down they can wait until grid gets back
on line?

Daryl

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is 48 volt system.   Solar output is less than 2 kW, but owner still wants to sell back since they are not home much during the week.

Grid and generator supplies generator panel which feeds the inverter, plus washer, dryer, and small air conditioner.  i.e.  Generator has much higher capacity than inverter, so it can take on other loads not critical for inverter to supply.

My goal is to have the same system as I have when using SW40 inverters - As long as grid is down, the inverter will start the generator only when the battery bank reaches a low point, then run the generator until the batteries have at least completed a bulk charge plus some preset absorption time, then turn off.  If owner decides to run the washer or other generator/grid only loads, we usually provide a 0 - 60 minute dial mechanical timer to start the generator, which the inverter "sees" and starts charging the batteries.

Power outages here can last days to weeks in some areas during an ice storm, so generator may need to run a few hours in the morning and the evening at peak loads and low battery charge conditions and no sun.  I had planned to put a 100 amp Kohler auto transfer switch to switch the generator panel loads from the grid to the generator, but do not want the owner to keep manually changing settings on Mate because the inverter handles grid and generator power differently.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -