Grid sell with Outback, solar,and generator [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 06:21:52 PDT 2007

Hi fellow REwrenches
I too wish that Outback would keep up the engineering
improvements they made to get our support.  I still am
a strong Outback supporter.

But in Jeff's case he faces some choices, I think he
can get a sound operation of his system, fully
automated or with manual operations using Outback
inverters and supplement with a few custom parts.  I
am sure that Outback has heard our frustration, but
lets give Jeff a hand.

I have used the "DT-Kluge", so called by some solar
installers around here, that seems to make Jeff's
problem solvable.  I am hoping to install a new
version of the Kluge if the customer will go for it.
It is an out state install with poor power
reliability.  I have not built it as yet, so I can not
give results, but it is similar to the ones I have
built before that work reliably.

So Jeff
What is battery voltage?  How many AHr
Battery brand?
Do you want auto gen start? or only manual?
Do you want auto generator recycle? or only manual?
Does the generator pick up only the critical circuits
panel (CCP) or the CCP and generator special panel?

Darryl

--- "David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light"
<ipl at sover.net> wrote:

> I share your frustration with OutBack. I was an
> early adopter of their
> products. I have not used many Xantrex products in
> the past few years.
> So, I need an update on what Xantrex now offers.
> What's up with the ol' SW
> lineup?
> Dave
>
> Jeff Yago wrote:
>
> > I know this thread has just about been beat to
> death, but I wanted to
> > see if I could summarize everyones thoughts as we
> are getting ready to
> > install this exact same system.
> >
> > Battery-based Outback Grid-tie Inverter system
> with about 2 kW solar and
> > a 12 kW backup generator.  Client wants to sell
> any excess solar power
> > as they are gone most of the week, but area has
> lots of power outages so
> > generator backup is important.  Since no AC1 and
> AC2 inputs, the easiest
> > route is to set up inverter as grid-tie, and use
> any excess solar for
> > net metering.   Install a standard AC generator
> transfer switch ahead of
> > inverter and its emergency panel loads.
> >
> > However, as everyone has already pointed out, the
> Outback will not
> > handle this change properly without being told the
> input power supply is
> > now a generator and not the grid.  How big a deal
> is this change-over
> > for the client if they have a Mate?  Can this
> change-over be simplified
> > or pre-programmed to only require a single
> command?  What is easiest
> > program settings to stay with that reduces these
> control issues if the
> > generator will only be used during an extended
> power outage?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff Yago
> >

> - - - -