satellite internet off-grid [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Mon Apr 9 12:47:31 PDT 2007

I've used DirecWay and found it just fine and have neighbors that have
signed up with Wildblue and like it as well.  The key to satellite internet
is to understand that the upload speed is  very much slower than the
download speed and they generally limit the maximum amount of data you can
download for a specified period of time, DirecWay calls it "fapping" (for
Fair Access Policy) which means they will keep any one user from gobbling up
too much bandwidth for too long (satellite has a fixed amount of bandwidth
available on each satellite transponder).  From what I've heard WildBlue has
a better more flexible FAP policy than was my experience with Direcway.

I can't believe, especially in the US with our poorer cell phone systems,
that satellite internet would be worse than cellphone.

I have the satellite dish for the system mounted on the roof of a shed
behind the house and it just so happens that the dish is pointed up along
the slope of the metal roofing of the house.  The signal strength for that
system has always been off the charts high, which is great, and always
better than anyone else's who had their just mounted without the benefit of
the metal roof in line with the dish.  I came to believe that the metal roof
actually amplified the signal coming to the dish, which was a nice albeit
unintended way to boost the signal.  It would take a lot of snow in the dish
to block the signal and even the heaviest Rocky Mountain thunderstorm (and
they are doozies) would not block the signal.

Unless you have a need for massive upload capacity I'd highly recomment
satellite.  It has the added advantage of being a real power-sipper too.

Tom