Rainwater pump question [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Mar 10 09:48:16 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

The cistern-mounted approach has one major advantage over the external
wet-well, in that the pump is well protected against freezing in a large
volume of water. I've done it both ways over the years (along with some
other approaches) and have found that the SQ makes the in-tank solution
an excellent choice.

Matt T

Jay Peltz, Peltz Power wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> I have come up with a way that the pump doesn't sit in the tank and
> you get to use all the water.
>
> Install a short well next to the tank, 3-4' deep and extend the well
> casing above the max tank height.
> Drain of tank will connect into fitting in the "well casing".
> Install the pump into this casing, plumb it  and electrical just as
> you would a well.
>
> Now you get all the water in the tanks, plus easy access.
>

> jay
> peltz power
>

> On Mar 9, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Allan Sindelar wrote:
>

>> Wrenches,
>> A customer is building an off-grid home for which we have already
>> provided a
>> small system (1kW array, GVFX3524 on Midnite MNE175 chassis, MX60, 8
>> S-460s). My question is about the water system.
>>
>> The house will have two water sources: community-based well potable
>> system
>> with gravity supply to house, and rainwater to serve toilets,
>> washer, and
>> irrigation. The rainwater will collect in three 1600-gallon poly  tanks,
>> plumbed sequentially.
>>
>> I plan to use a Grundfos 10SQ05-160 AC, 1/2 hp 115VAC soft start
>> submersible
>> pump in the third tank. The system will have a sediment filter,
>> pressure
>> switch and tank located in the mechanical room, and no exterior  pump
>> pit.
>> The pump will rest horizontally inside a 4" PVC shroud, on blocks
>> above the
>> bottom of the tank.
>>
>> My AC pump supplier tells me that this approach is becoming fairly
>> common in
>> our area, as more people put in rainwater catchment systems. I  trust
>> his
>> advice and plan to go through with this; just haven't done it before.
>>
>> Who has done this? Any tips or warnings? And what do you suggest to
>> serve as
>> blocks in the tank, on which to rest the pump in its shroud?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com