HUP batteries [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Tue Feb 27 19:28:55 PST 2007

We have one set of HUPS out there and a preparing to do a few more.

HUP is pretty explicit about the cells staying in the steel case.  Removing
them during the install is OK.

We don't ground the steel cases.  That's just plain unsafe IMHO.  Keep in
mind the residue that usually covers a flooded battery is conductive.
Combine that with a likely over watering event during the expected 20yr life
followed by an equalization charge (we've all been there, it's ok to admit
it) and you've got a problem. Once the residue reaches the + terminal the
whole thing is hazardous. This might not be a problem at 48 volts or lower
but just ask NREL about their 120v battery bank.  Now that's a horror story.

We build a battery box around the batteries after installation then remove
the steel lids.  No sense having those guillotines ready to drop on
unsuspecting 12v interconnects.  So far, so good....

Randy's comment about the acid residue covering the HUP set he installed is
interesting.  Be prepared to deal with that. I suspect they got bounced
around pretty good during shipping.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services