HUP batteries [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Tue Feb 27 09:47:59 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Drake,

We've installed one system with the HuP Solar One battery.  We did
not ground the steel case.  We put the battery in an insulated and
vented plywood battery box (see www.brookssolar.com/news/
CarrwindPV.htm for a photo).  The box serves as the terminal for
conduit.  We left the metal lids on to protect against accidental
shorts when the box is open.  We also used an automatic watering
system to reduce the time required for that chore.  The inspector did
not have a concern about the battery installation.

The HuP was purchased to get a large amp hour battery without the
labor and potential failures of multiple strings and numerous
interconnects.  However, we had to disassemble the battery to clean
each cell and each case after shipment, so there was still
considerable labor involved.  I'm glad we did take the time to clean
it.  There was a lot of acidic moisture inside the cases.  It's also
easier to move and install the battery one cell at at time, although
the cells still weight 130 lbs each.  The battery comes with a
lifting strap to move cells.  A 2X4 through the strap allows two
people to lift a cell safely.  Still a grunt though.

Good luck,

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People