HUP batteries [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Tue Feb 27 19:31:58 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Randy's experience matched ours almost to a T, on all counts.  The only
things I'd add are with regard to lifting those cells in and out of the
cases.  Hup cells are a few inches taller than an L-16, so for the bottom
of the cell to clear the top of the case as you lift in and out, you've got
about 10-12" additional upward lift than an L-16.

That additional 10" was too much for even two of us.  Getting too old, I
guess.  We ended up designing a portable hoisting rig to get them in and
out.  And even with that, it was a lot of work.  Getting the cells back in
the cans was harder than getting them out, because of those plastic
corrugated shims that they use on the sides of the cans, to "snug" the
cells in place and to keep them from moving.  The shims don't stay in place
with the cells removed, and you've got to lower the cells in just right, in
order to get them back in.  It took one of us handling the hoisting rig,
while the other guided the bottom of the cell into place.

What a bear.  Good batteries as far as I can tell, but I'll never use them
on another job unless I have figured out in advance exactly how we're going
to move those assemblies into their final resting place, every inch of the
way, without damaging floors or ourselves in the process.

And yep, those can lids pose a real shorting potential, especially when
you're putting on the hinge bolts or taking them off.  I ended up cutting a
piece of OSB to cover the tops of the cells when working on the lids.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

- - - -