Class T fuse source request [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Feb 26 18:56:53 PST 2007

Allan Sindelar also asked me to respond to the specifics of his question
which he posted as well.  Here is my response:

I agree that using four 2/0 AWG cables to the battery bank is
unnecessary from an engineering perspective - the two 4/0 AWG cables
should be enough.  Part of the problem is that the NEC only gives us two
choices - in a "raceway" (conduit) or "free-air" (which is not really
defined). A conduits is also assumed to have three current carrying
conductors in it - which isn't the case with DC systems generally.

The cable run from a battery is usually very short - and only a short
part of the run is in conduit (often less than 24 inches - which the NEC
defines as a "nipple" - honestly!).  I think for such short runs the
cables should be considered to be in free-air - not in a raceway.  The
ampacity of 4/0 cable at 75C is 360 amps - more than enough for your
system with dual 175 amp breakers.

I addressed the issue of adding two class T fuses for each of the
batteries in the previous email - I think it is worth considering but it
is not essential. There are numerous ways the batteries could fail that
the fuses would not handle either unfortunately. I would be a little
nervous of putting fuses with lower amperage ratings in the system than
the circuit breakers - its much nicer if the breakers trip when they do
something really stupid like try to run an electric hot-tub...

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com