City of Berkeley PV Policy [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Feb 15 17:54:01 PST 2007

In case you are interested, I am posting the text of a new City of Berkeley
Draft PV Policy.

It is really hard to know where to start when so much of it is bad:

Photovoltaic Policy

1. Question: Do we need to install an AC disconnect?
Answer: AC disconnects have been required to be installed per section Nec.
690.15 and PGE green book. The City of Berkeley still requires you to
provide an AC disconnect and that disconnect can be a back fed breaker. If
the inverter is not grouped on the exterior or is not readily accessible
with in sight of the main service you must provide a separate AC disconnect
and also must be connected in a manner per Point of Connection section Nec
690.64 (A) and (B). The Inverter Output Circuit shall always have an AC
disconnect either at the point of connection to the AC load center that is
readily accessible or shall be provided for safe equipment maintenance and
Emergencies situations.
2. Question: Do we need to install DC disconnect?
Answer: Yes, DC disconnects shall be installed in a readily accessible
locations for maintenance of the inverter. The inverter that have DC and AC
disconnects integral in the inverter must have a separate DC disconnect to
be able to have equipment maintenance performed per section Nec 690.15.
3. Question: Can I make a Tap on the load side of the AC load center with
the conductors from the inverter output circuit?
Answer: No taps on the load side of the AC load center with the conductors
from the inverter output circuit per section Nec. 690.64(B) A load side tap
is not one of the proscribed point of connection methods per section 690.64
(B).
4. Question: Do all inverters installed in the interior of a resident or
garage, that are not within sight of the main service or are not readily
accessible need AC and DC disconnect?
Answer: Yes, All inverter that are installed inside a resident or garage
must have AC and DC disconnects installed within sight of and readily
accessible to the main service. Section Nec 690.15
5. Question: Do all inverters and or disconnects of Photovoltaic systems
need to be grouped together.
Answer: Yes, All Photovoltaic inverters and or disconnects need to be
grouped together near the main service. Section Nec 690.14C5
6. Question: Do the AC and DC disconnects need to be identified?
Answer: Each photovoltaic disconnecting means shall be permanently marked to
identify it as a photovoltaic system disconnect. Section 690.14C2.
7. Question: Can the photovoltaic disconnecting means be installed in a
bathroom?
Answer: The photovoltaic system disconnecting means shall not be installed
in bathrooms. Section Nec. 690.14C1.

MPF

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com