Class T fuse source request [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Feb 26 18:36:25 PST 2007

Sorry for not responding sooner - Allan actually reminded me to respond
after I forgot about this... Thanks Allan!

So - I have included additional fusing of the battery on a few large
battery system installs I was involved with.  I have found that the
inspectors are more comfortable with them if you refer to these as
"catastrophic" and "additional" protection and emphasize that you are
going beyound the NEC in providing them.  This worked well at the large
off-grid system which was I helped to install two or so years ago near
Pasadena and was not objected to by the chief electrical inspector who
came out for the final inspection.

The fuses where mounted in fuseholders and enclosed behind a protective
lexan cover inside of the battery room / closet - the battery system was
5000AH at 48 vdc sealed Absolyte IIP - four strings total of 24 cells
each.  The cabling from the battery to the fuses was as short as
possible and should be done with equal length cables IMHO.   This system
had eight OutBack VFX3648 and something like 10 MX60s

I have looked a the devices called "cable limiters" and am more
comfortable with using Class-T fuses for these applications.  I have
always liked the idea of putting in one 400 amp Class T fuse PER SERIES
STRING of batteries prior to the point that they are paralleled
together.  On some systems a smaller fuse might make sense even -
depends on the size of the battery.  The fuse is really meant to handle
a short circuit - so the trip current rating is not as critical.

These fuseholders also can be thought of as "bolted disconnect" points
to allow isolation of a section of the battery for testing and or
individual string equalization, etc.  Sort of like a PV array combiner
box for the battery. I would use a similar practice here as well - that
is that when there are more than two strings of batteries being
paralleled,  individual battery strings should be fused.

I agree that the NEC is very conservative on cable ratings - I too have
done many EV conversions and have used much smaller cables without
problems.  In many ways the UL and NEC standards result in multiple
safety margins being applied - which just makes things more difficule
and expensive, not actually safer.  Can you imagine how much innovation
would occur if the automakers had to get cars UL listed each year? Think
about it...

Christopher

Ray Walters wrote:
> Hi Allan;
> I too have pondered these same issues, and would like some
> clarification from Outback.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com