Roofing Question [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Jan 29 19:38:34 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Bruce:

We hired a roofing contractor to seal our first penetrations on a gravel
built-up roof.  We paid close attention to the procedure and stole it, fair
and square.  It is a bit more involved than what I've heard others
describe, but I believe it is bullet proof.  The system is described best
by a PDF flyer on our web
site:  http://mpandc.com/practices/Procedures/procedures.html   Click on:
Flat Roof Installation Techniques.  Let me know if you have any questions
that the PDF does not answer.

William Miller

At 04:01 PM 1/23/2007, you wrote:

>Hi.  I'm wondering how other installers are sealing penetrations in flat
>roofing systems like modified bitumen and tar & gravel.  I've heard of
>everything from "just seal it with Sikaflex" to, you have to seal it the
>way the roof was initially installed:  e.g. torch down and cold-applied
>adhesive for the modified bitumen and hot tar for the tar & gravel.
>
>Anybody have any stories about what happens when you try to go the "just
>sikaflex it" route instead of using the original roofing method?  Has
>anybody made penetrations in either type of roofing system that has been
>leak-free for 20+ years?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bruce

- - - -