sloped roof penetrations [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Mon Jan 29 09:56:29 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Steve & all,
I've heard this prejudice against silicone before.
Most of the work we do in the NorthEast here is on sloped asphalt roofs.
We use silicone on our penetrations.
I've moved a couple hundred 1980's systems most of which were bedded in
silicone.
The only time I've seen leaks is where there was obvious problems with the
attachment.
The silicone is protected from UV degredation under the fittings / array,
and it stays very nice and flexible and very well bonded to all the surfaces
including the metal.  Getting it apart can actually be the problem.
The only caveat is that it won't bond to wet surfaces, no finishing up as
the rain is starting!

Conrad Geyser
Cotuit Solar