starting a 1 HP well pump with a VFX3648 [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sun Jan 28 18:45:18 PST 2007

Standard well pumps are designed to deal with what we would consider
incredible voltage drops.  If you can't find any manufacturers charts online
then call a pump supplier and ask them to look at their chart for you.  They
likely won't be able to tell you % drop as their manufacturer supplied
charts usually just give them how many feet of a given size of wire on
varying sizes of pumps.  I think you'll be amazed, I was.

That being said, I'd be surprised if AC voltage drop on the pump side is the
problem.

Double check but I'm pretty sure Outback is limited to 50 amps for 5 seconds
then it goes into error mode.  My 1hp 240vac well pump needs 27 amps to
start and runs at 9-10 (obtained using a Fluke 337).

I fought and fought a customer's 1 hp 3 wire set up on VFX3624.  The start
winding in the pump wasn't engaging reliably.  Strangest thing since it
would work most of the time.  The start winding by itself is just a few amps
(5, I believe) as it's purpose is to get the pump spinning but if it doesn’t
work then I guess the "run" windings see a locked rotor.  After they
replaced the pump, problems went away.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services