starting a 1 HP well pump with a VFX3648 [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 12:49:24 PST 2007

If the Franklin controller works out, please report back to the list!  With a single-phase motor, it must draw more surge the SQ, which incorporates a 3-phase motor, but it may be a solution if other factors cannot be improved.

Plan to keep the pressure switch in the circuit, and to NOT set the controller in constant-pressure mode. Otherwise, it will use lots of energy just to maintain very low flows sometimes necessary to maintain constant pressure. The pressure switch (wired ahead of the controller) will eliminate the phantom load also. I don't have experience with this, but I think it's the best advice. I know this topic went around a couple years ago.

You probably know, but it's worth reminding, that not only the pump circuit resistance is critical, but also the DC circuit including inverter cables, battery connections and the battery bank itself which can have excessive internal resistance if undersized or in poor condition.

Windy

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:42:09 -0700
>From: Ray Walters <walters at taosnet.com>
>Subject: Re: starting a 1 HP well pump with a VFX3648 [RE-wrenches]
>

>Franklin makes a controller similar to the Grundfos SQ system that can
>be used with many regular AC pumps. You don't have to pull the pump, its
>all above ground wiring. Max for a single phase 220 system is 1 Hp.
>(Monodrive)
>
>Check them out at:
>http://www.franklin-electric.com/CatalogSubmersible/ConstantPressureControllers.aspx
>

>We've tried them a couple of times. I doubt they will work on Mod sine,
>but we have had success with the Trace Stepped "SW" inverters.
>
>Ray

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php