human resource question [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 06:45:35 PST 2007

Ron,
  I echo Travis's reply that partners don't work or maybe I should say  50/50
partners don't work.  I have been that route twice now with a  previous
business and my solar business.  I managed to split with my 50/50  partner with no
major ill feelings or financial loss mainly because we both had  been in
partnerships before and knew firsthand the pitfalls.  I am back to  full owner and
after losing a key man have managed to replace him with another  and two more
very able employees, one of which , one who has management  experience as well
as real world in the trenches work experience ans has  invested a small
amount in the company, effectively supplying his own paycheck  for the initial
training phase.  I think we are on track for controlled  growth but is has been a
rough transition.  The key is finding the right  person(s) who can hit the
floor running and then keep them.  Right now we  are in the winter bad weather
times and I am struggling with keeping all four  current employees on the
payroll for the huge workload coming in the next few  months.  It's a sacrifice for
me when I am occasionally left out of payday  due to other more pressing
obligations but we are close to the volume where it  will all shake out OK.  Good
luck finding the right person. It is a great  feeling when you can find the
right people and the team starts working  well.

John
CVsolar

John  Blittersdorf
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer