metal roof grounding? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue Jan 23 13:11:26 PST 2007

Anyone catch John W.'s latest HP article?  We are putting conventional
modules with S-5 clamps onto a standing seam metal roof, and the question
has come up: do we need to ground the roof?  I have gotten mixed advise on
it and am looking for your input listers!  One big discrepancy that calls
this into question is the code's language (in 250.110) that uses the word
"likely" to become energized and J.W.'s quote of the code uses the phrase
"may" become energized.

Is a metal roof under our array likely to be energized? No.  It "may"
though.... ?????

So - if we do decide to take the uber-conservative route, can we use WEEB
clips between the grounded module frames and the S-5 clips, then screw those
clips into the standing seam?  that seams to work but be a stretch.  Our
other option would be to tag each pan with a fastener - probably in the
vertical part of the standing seam.  Hitting them at the top under the
flashing is not an option.

Your thoughts, experience and opinions are welcome!!!!

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified PV Installer

"Clean Energy, Expertly Installed"