backup generator specs... [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jan 16 19:27:11 PST 2007

Jim,
Let him buy his own unit, but encourage him to take your advice.

Honda, Yamaha and Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries, also marketed under the
Makita and Baldor names) make them; there may be others.

I have not yet heard mention of straight-120AC Vs. 120/240 AC as an issue.
The inverter-generators output 120V AC, which is ideal for small systems.
The better contractor specials are switchable between the two. The cheaper
units put out their "rated output" only at 240V AC, and thus require a
balancing transformer, two inverrters, or an unbalanced load.

If you're customer is a jerk and won't listen (and I have seen evidence that
some folks from Texas are prone to not listening), see if he/she buys a
cheaper unit that has the neutral internally bonded to the frame (many do).
Then respectfully refuse to connect it to the PV power system because
connection can't be accomplished in compliance with the NEC without creating
a parallel ground path. The only way out is to put it in a separate
structure, away from the rest of the system, with its own ground rod and no
service receptacles from the system in proximity. Tell him you're concerned
about his safety and can't violate the Code in good conscience, sorry...

Allan at Positive Energy