backup generator specs... [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Fri Jan 12 15:43:47 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Jim,

Even more dittos from me on the 2 wire start being absolutely essential
and the LP as the preferred fuel.

Another thing.....some machines such as the Kohler do not have an
alternator and require a seperate 5 or 6 amp battery charger to keep the
start battery charged. This means a 120 volt AC circuit must be
installed along with everything else.....so watch for that. FYI....the
logic circuitry for the auto start is a parasitic load.

And the elephant in the living room.....warranty. Not many generator
companies will honor the generator warranty when it's used in an off
grid application. And believe me...they'll know what it's been used for
by the amount of hours on the machine. This is the primary reason I
backed away from offering generators to my off-grid customers.

I'd still say that Kohler is one of the better ones. Out of the 50+
off-grid systems I maintain, 18 use Kohler generators. Here in NY and PA
they do honor their warranty for off-grid...and have even offered
extended warranty packages.

And finally...watch the fuel consumption specs at various loads. I find
with medium sized inverter systems (3.5 to 7KW) that the 12 KW size is
about right....usually a good balance between fuel usage and charging
while running some loads. But of course the customer may have loads such
as those famous Texas air conditioners or the pumps in those 750+ foot
deep wells that may dictate a larger one.

Have fun!

Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
NYSERDA eligible PV & wind installer