problems with Conergy modules[RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed Dec 12 09:21:31 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Jeff,

I don't think that Conergy's use of Chinese suppliers (Suntech) is a
secret at all.  They seemed to me to openly tout that fact in the
spring.

We used the Suntech-labeled modules this spring on a couple jobs, and
found them to be first quality, with no shipping related issues.  My
understanding was that their shift to Conergy branded modules in
mid-season was simply a relabeling of the Suntechs, but perhaps that is
not the case.  Anyone else care to comment on that?  I was somewhat
disappointed that, after their talking up Suntech as a long term stable
supplier/partner, they went and changed the module label a month or two
later.  Has Conergy gone ahead and changed the design and form factor
as well, or are they still the same exact Suntech modules?

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

From: Jeff Yago <jryago at netscape.com> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:14:54
-0800 Subject: RE: problems with Conergy modules[RE-wrenches]

Anybody run into this type problem with Conergy?

We ordered 24 Conergy S175 modules under the impression they were made
in US and not China. I had told Conergy rep at time we placed order
that we selected their modules over modules from another distributor
who was offering us China modules at a lower price, and Conergy rep did
not disclose to me at that time that their modules were also made in
China.

20 of the modules in this order went directly onto job with no problem,
remaining 4 modules stayed in 2 factory un-opened cartons in our
storeroom for 2 months, then we received order for small off-grid that
could use these last 4 modules. When I delivered these to job site and
opened the shipping box, one of the 4 modules was shattered. Since I
un-loaded the modules myself when we received them from the trucking
company, and I stacked them on the pallet myself, and I re-loaded them
myself and delivered them myself using my truck, these modules were
never handled by anyone but me, and we do not own a fork truck and no
vehicles can fit into locked storeroom so nobody has been near these
but me.

Finally, after finding the shattered module I inspected the shipping
box and there were no signs of damage that I could see, or would have
been able to see when they were delivered. However, there are several
"blemishes" on the back vinyl backing that have been painted over with
a white epoxy type paint to cover them up, and this was done before
they were shipped to us.

Have you ever received new modules from any manufacturer that had
damaged areas that had been re-painted to cover these areas?

What are chances that one of these painted over areas was weakened by
whatever damaged the backing, and this later shattered the glass as it
was banged around in shipping.

Since the nameplate labels on these Conergy modules do NOT indicate
where they were manufactured, were you aware that they are hiding the
fact they are made in China?

I realize some China products are pretty good, but considering a module
from China is in shipping many thousands of miles more to get to me
than modules made in California, and will be handled by many multiple
fork trucks and shipping container cranes to make this long trip, I
would say the risk for glass breakage is far greater for modules made
in China than modules made in the US, and I would have expected Conergy
to be more responsive due to this higher risk for damage in shipment.

I also note that these made in China modules are shipped in a cardboard
box that contain much less protective packing inside than modules we
receive from other manufacturers. I can't wait to see how Conergy
handles future claims if one of these made in China modules fails in a
year or two.

What has your experience been with Conergy and their made in China modules??

Jeff Yago

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com