hi voltage array combiners [RE-wrenches]

nick vida nickvida at eesolar.com
Mon Dec 10 18:10:51 PST 2007

Jay,

I am working with the Blue Oak Homerun combiner box on a job right now
and it is pretty usable. It is large, 12 x 12 x 6 or maybe slightly
bigger and there are very usable busses and a good layout. The fusing is
cartridge style micro- fuses, (same size as the 1 amp one you pull out
of inverters) and the Main lugs are very large, suitable for the #2 I am
using and probably good for 4/0 or something. The enclosure is
fiberglass and it seems unlikely to de-nature durring longterm exposure
(but watch your lungs when you push a hole through it!) The cover has a
nice rubber gasket and a stainless steel piano hinge. The one thing I
would say about that is the fastener for the hinge is self drilling 3/8
inch long screws, and while there is plenty of space on the hinge to
drill new holes, It doesnt seem so durable for blow outs, and the weight
of the door pulls on the screws (and your foot would thrash it.) I would
like to see better fasteners, and I wonder if they decided the small
damage of a blowout was more repairable with the tiny screw then say
ripping out a grommet or cracking the box.

I do like the outback din rail circuit breakers a bit better because
those little 15a 600 vdc fuses are pricey and are not reusable.

All in all, Blue Oak is good, but pretty huge.
jay peltz wrote:

> HI All,
>
> I"m curious what folks are using/recommending for hi-voltage array
> combiners.
> I"m talking about +150vdc.
>

> thanks,
>
> jay