hi voltage array combiners [RE-wrenches]

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Dec 10 06:08:39 PST 2007

Esteemed Wrenches,

I was looking at the SMA combiner last week and I am a little puzzled.

They are using a Square D HU361 disconnect to build the combiner. SMA
rates the disconnect at 40 amperes. However, Sq D has issued a data
bulletin, Document Number 3110DB0401, that has specific UL limits when
used for PV system disconnect.

Page 1 of the bulletin is for "General DC Systems". Page 2 has the
specifications for PV use. At the top of page 2 is this note, "Heavy
duty safety switches may be used on photovoltaic systems with a grounded
feed. Refer to Figures 1B, 1D and 2." The SMA combiner is not wired
according to any figure on this data sheet. They have landed two legs on
the two outer poles and then combined the DC before it feeds the load.
There is a limit of 11.5 ampere per leg (table 1 Limitations) when wired
according to figure 1B, 1D and 2.

I asked the SMA rep and he told me it was approved by UL. So how can
this be a UL listed 40 amp disconnect? Am I missing something?

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
Yuma, AZ

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com