NABCEP again (was opportunity to address pumbing code issues) [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Wed Nov 14 21:23:07 PST 2007

Joel,

I actively sought input from NABCEP on this issue, due to the PV licensure
requirement for NABCEP certification in Utah. I've been underwhelmed by the
response from NABCEP on this issue (and I'm an "Inaugural" NABCEP PV
certificant, so I'm not anti-NABCEP). I'm told that they "discourage" govt.
agencies from requiring or utilizing NABCEP certification in licensure
requirements, but they claim that they can do nothing to stop it. It's not
hard to see that any requirement for NABCEP certification represents a
potential revenue stream for NABCEP, so I'm dubious about how vigorously the
"discouragement" may be.

Having every PV licenseholder in the state NABCEP certified potentially
reduces the marketing advantage of certification, although one does not need
to retain current certification to remain licensed -only be NABCEP certified
when applying to become licensed. I won't go in to the objections I've
raised with the Utah licensing officials here, but if this issue is of
concern to anyone else, I can share those off-line.

For what it's worth, Utah also relies upon other industry certifications for
other licensure classifications. The one that comes to mind is in the gas
appliance and piping industry. I expect, with gubment budget tightening and
privatization in vogue, this paradigm will continue to grow.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.