Heating oil vs. electric heat [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Tue Nov 13 08:44:00 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Joel,

In 2005 I compared our just installed, air sourced electric heat pump
(COP 3.1) with our kerosene fired "Monitor" brand heater. I used price
per BTU when I figured the numbers, but only have the net costs to heat
our home for a winter season. I just modified those numbers for today's
electricity and kerosene prices:

At $3.41 per gallon of kerosene (11-13-2007 price - supposed to be going
up again today), it would cost us $450.00 to heat our home for the
winter with the kerosene monitor.

With .10/kWh electricity:
To heat our home for a season with resistance electric the cost is $486.00.
To heat our home for a season with a 2.0 COP heat pump the cost is $234.00
To heat our home for a season with a 3.0 COP heat pump the cost is $162.00

Conclusion:
Heating with resistance electric in our area only costs about 7% more
than kerosene. ($486.00 vs $450.00). Heat pumps are BY FAR the cheapest
BTU/$ heat source. As we all know non-renewable fuels will continue to
go up in price so when asked, I suggest heat pumps (or even resistance
electric) over fuel oil heating.

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php