NABCEP again (was opportunity to address pumbing code issues) [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Nov 15 08:33:10 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hiya Joel,
NABCEP certification is and will continue to be voluntary, but then
there is reality.
NABCEP has absolutely no say in "allowing" a jurisdiction to require
a certification in order to qualify for incentive money or whatever
they have in mind.
I can certainly understand the desire to have the jurisdiction's
money well spent on a well designed quality installation.
Certification, of course, doesn't guarantee that, but -all things
being equal- it would certainly go a long way towards that goal.
To date, the NABCEP BoD (on which I sit as the Certificant advocate)
has written letters to jurisdictions requesting this, stating that we
would prefer they not make a NEBCEP certification a requirement.
However, it is becoming more obvious all the time that we may be
fighting high tide there. Governments do what governments do and if
they can do it cheaper and better by farming it out, well....
IMO, and NOT as a NABCEP BoD member or Certificant, I think that it
is not necessarily a bad idea for jurisdictions to require proven
expertise AND training in the RE field as a pre-requisite to playing
in their sandbox. Toward that end, I feel the NABCEP "Entry Level"
test rather than the full Certification (which requires both deep
knowledge of PV AND experience) would be an appropriate yardstick of
an electrician's knowledge of PV. One of my main justifications for
getting involved in NABCEP some five years ago now, was my personal
thoughts that 1) RE is going mainstream and 2) unless the industry
and existing RE Wrenches set up their "own" testable levels of
competence, the government or the IBEW was going to do it "for" us.
We all know what THAT means....
Frankly, I'd rather steer the ship then get run over by it.
Cheers, Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com