Apollo 80 Comments - now OutBack FLEXmax 80 [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Sun Nov 11 13:43:04 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

At 01:42 AM 11/12/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello Christopher,
>
>The new FLEXmax 80 sounds like a great product.  A controller that we
>really need now (IMO) is one that can charge from a 300 to 550 volt
>array.  Are the technical obstacles to producing this too great?
>
>Drake

I agree strongly.  Heck, even 250-300 max Voc would be a big step forward.

I guess I don't understand all the push for higher output
currents.  Paralleling 40-60 amp controllers has always been relatively
easy, and now all of the new models can coordinate their operation over
some type of communications bus if desired.  And with multiple controllers,
not all solar production is lost if one of the units goes down.

Not only is the solar panel market driven almost entirely by high voltage
grid tie applications, but there is little continuity as to what models are
available.  I often find it more of a challenge these days in off-grid
designs, to hit my total wattage, array voltage, and racking layout target
windows all at the same time.  Not impossible, but definitely more
challenging, especially for those of us that need to stay away from 72 volt
nominal arrays because of low temperature Voc concerns.  At least with the
MX60 we can use in-between array voltages.

Another factor is that the cost of copper has risen enough to move the
optimum line-loss cost tradeoff point a bit.  Higher voltage arrays on
remotely located pole tops conserve precious copper.   Higher voltage
designs reduce wiring costs across the board (less array home runs and
breakers, smaller and simpler combiner boxes, smaller array wire all
around, less connections, etc).

I've heard rumors that at least one higher voltage CC may be in the works,
but I'm not convinced it's for real, not just yet.  Sure hope so.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com