Apollo 80 Comments - now OutBack FLEXmax 80 [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Nov 12 01:57:22 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Kurt,

>As long as we're wishing, why not consider higher voltage battery
>strings?  The UPS industry uses 240 VDC nominal for some pretty huge inverters.

I think there are some major code and safety issues with using high
voltage battery banks.

A high voltage charge controller, that would step down to 48 volts DC
(or even lower) would allow small wire sizes and long runs to be used
with arrays.  A small Outback system could have the same benefit that
the larger AC coupled systems have, ie high voltage strings.  Another
advantage to high voltage arrays is their better performance under
low light situations.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php