Xantrex XW [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Mon Nov 5 18:36:21 PST 2007

Ken,

>From what I've seen, the XW charge controller has GFP built in to it, so if
you're using that controller, negative and ground must be kept isolated so
the GFP will work correctly, and probably for the controller to work at all.
If you're using a different charge controller, you'll be OK unless you want
GFP, in which case you may need to install a Midnite baby box and Midnite
GFP(s) and separate negative from ground, or some other kluge (and I mean
that in a GOOD way). As far as I can tell, a solid neutral-ground bond does
not adversely affect the inverter in any way.

The fact that Xantrex chose to use a GFP fuse inside the controller (and an
expensive 600 VDC KLKD fuse at that) instead of a separate breaker is a poor
call IMO. A ground fault anywhere in the system, not just in the array
wiring, will cost you the price of that fuse. Not sure what Xantrex has
planned for GFP in the new distribution panel when using somebody else's
charge controller either. Maybe ye olde Trace PVGFP from years back will
mount up to the DC breaker panel in the new enclosure, since it uses the
correct size breakers. It appears to still be available (that is, the manual
is not in the "discontinued products documents" list).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the inverter.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.