Xantrex XW [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Mon Nov 5 03:56:22 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

As I mentioned in my last post, we are doing a Y2K system upgrade so we can
net meter and have gen backup, at affordable prices.
The 6048 XW is now on the wall and wired into the existing Trace DC
disconnect and transfer switches. After wrestling the old Power Panel down
off the wall---I use two 'farm jacks' for that joyful task---, it was a
pleasure to bolt a bracket to the wall and lift the 125# XW into a slot on
the bracket that carries the weight and then secure in the vertical position
with two screws at the top.
Sweet!
We will be finishing the install today I trust and start to play with it,
although the net meter inspection and appropriate meter install is still in
progress.
Our only hassle so far is due to our use of the existing DC disconnect, and
the fact that we will be adding an additional array, necessitating a second
charge control, both mounted above the Trace disconnect where the original
C40's were mounted. The knockouts don't quite align, so we had to do a
little grinding, about 3/8 ".
The other thing we noticed is that the old Trace disconnect has common
battery neg and equipment ground, where the new XW disconnect uses seperate
buses, with the battery neg isolated. Any thoughts on how big an issue this
is?
The new XW distribution panel is quite complete with transfer breakers, nice
flex wire, etc but does cost $1K, so the temptation for many will be to use
the existing Trace.

More thoughts to follow after we try it out with the existing array.

Ken Schaal
CommonWealth Solar