gas generator recommendations [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Sun Oct 28 19:06:51 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Great generator discussions...  I have a related question about
auto-starting philosophies.

I lean toward's Jay's point of view, it's ultimately the customer's
choice.  But I'd add a qualifier - I'm not crazy about auto-start being
enabled when the homeowner is away for a period of time, as many of my
customers are.  First off it's not needed usually, as the house idle loads
are very small so the system will keep up fine, and if there was a problem
the inverter would eventually cut out to protect from serious discharge.

My question is, what do folks think about auto-exercising?  I've got
systems way up in the mountains that will sit completely unattended for as
much as 6-7 months straight, depending on when the snow clears.  Are the
benefits of periodic exercising not worth the risks of a system control
problem that might use up the available fuel and/or run the generator into
the ground?  Would your answer be different for a propane vs. a diesel genny?

Thanks,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT