gas generator recommendations [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Sun Oct 28 20:36:29 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

John:

Good questions:  It sounds like there are two different systems to consider
here:  The solar electric system and the genset.  I am a coastal California
dweller so I am no expert, but I'd like to suggest separate consideration
of the two systems.

Allow me to speculate further:

In the solar electric system , the batteries are the one component that is
susceptible to freezing conditions.  With a moderate solar charge, proper
insulation and basically no power consumption, the batteries can stay in a
fully charged condition.  I imagine a very steep PV angle is required to
keep the snow off.  One must make certain the charge voltage will be low
enough to not boil batteries dry.

The genset can be winterized and shut down.  This requires making certain
the fuel and coolant systems are protected from freezing.  The cranking
battery can be taken to town or put on a solar trickle, as long as the rate
is minimal to prevent drying the cells.  Refer to SOPs from the
manufacturer for more complete winterizing and spring restart procedures.

This is the limit of my experience (left over from growing up in a colder
climate).  Anyone else?

William Miller

PS:  I am fairly unconcerned about a generator running excessively IF the
interface is not complex.  If you are using a genset with a factory
two-wire start connected directly to an Outback FX (through a simple 12 V
coil relay) or to a Xantrex SW with built-in relays, there is little to
fail.  Both systems have an over-run timer.  Once you add third party gen.
start interfaces, all bets are off.  Not having used any of the commonly
available devices, and having heard some stories of unreliable operation, I
would want to log some time using such a device before I'd recommend a
customer travel away from a system in automatic operation.

WM

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com