water heater timers (was Re: Demand heater for SHW backup [RE-wrenches])

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Aug 24 09:56:50 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

This whole subject has caused me to re-evaluate my thinking on water
heaters, but I guess I still come to the same conclusions, namely, the
advantages of an on-demand heater marginally outweigh the disadvantages
as long as you place a value on always having enough hot water to handle
doing laundry, washing dishes, showers and baths for the family and
house guests (though definitely not all at the same time). Another thing
about on-demand heaters is that they free-up space, negate earthquake
damage from an overturned tank and allow for better zone heating in
large structures without recirc pumps. The potential for freeze damage
is real (where I live), especially if the unit is located outside of the
main shell of the house, but it reminds me of how many houses in Europe
have the heater located right over the kitchen sink. ;-)

Matt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com