water heater timers (was Re: Demand heater for SHW backup [RE-wrenches])

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Aug 24 00:00:12 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

The only loss from a water heater is the heat that escapes through the
insulation. The timer is supposed to be set so it shut the power off
before your last use of the day. This way the tank is supposed to sit
cool overnight, reducing the standby loss. The timer is then supposed
to turn the element back on in the morning before you need hot water
again so it is ready for your use. How many people have the timer set
correctly so they are sure they use enough hot water so the tank sits
cool overnight... and why the heck would you want to mess with all
that technology when wrapping your tank with several additional layers
of insulation will do more? If you super insulate the tank you will
save that heat loss 24 hours a day and negate any minimal heat loss
the timer might have reduced IF it is set correctly.

Conclusion: Super insulating your water heater tank will not only
totally negate any marginal savings a water heater timer might do, but
it will save you that energy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Water
heater timers are a total, pointless waste and should not be installed.

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com