Transformer-less inverter, was Switching Array leads [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Jul 31 09:24:19 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

At 07:22 AM 7/30/2007, you wrote:

>The system in the HP article uses a transformerless inverter...so both
>current carrying conductors are ungrounded.

Are there options for having a code compliant, transformer-less
inverter connected to a wiring system?

These inverters have an incredible advantage over standard models in
that they can run continuously to power small loads, with extremely
low current draw.  I keep one on all the time to charge small NiCad
battery loads.  These units would be perfect for smoke detectors and
other loads that must stay on.

The disadvantage of the non transformer models, that I'm familiar
with, are that if you ground the neutral, you destroy the unit.  Are
there other options now?  What if the case of the inverter were
double insulated with no case ground?  Would it then be possible to
ground the neutral?  Has anything become available?

Thanks,

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php