Efficient inverters for stand alone power systems? [RE-wrenches]

troy taharvey at heliocentric.org
Wed Aug 8 00:34:28 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

I'm trying to find an efficient inverter for stand alone power systems.

It seems that in the grid-tied boom, that nobody (?)  has really
addressed the fundamental problem with stand-alone inverters:
efficiency at low power draw.  Analyzing a couple of stand alone
residences & small office applications, the *typical* power draw is
quite small. You still need peaking performance for the occasional
surge requirement, but 80% of the time the base load may be 100-200
watts or even less.

Given the Outback Inverters as an example (a favorite of many off-
grid designers), the weighted average efficiency is only around 75%
or so for these applications. The most insidious thing is, as you
improve the efficiency of the base load appliances, efficiency drops
further (approaching zero). So for example if only one 40 watt
computer is running the efficiency is only 40%.

Obviously the problem has to do with the fact you are running against
the quiescent current requirements of the inverter controller (which
should be only a small fraction of a watt) and switching losses (the
dominant issue I'd guess). But this has been addressed in switched
converters long ago with by reducing switch frequency  and/or
transitioning to PFM at low load. We've designed power converters
that are 95% efficient down to fractions of a watt. The point is, it
should be feasible to design an inverter that is efficient down into
the few watt range (and lower).

I'd like to hear if there are any multi kW inverters (ie 2-5 kW)  out
there that are efficient down to low power draws (tens of watts) .
And I wouldn't mind hearing any commentary from inverter
manufacturers on the subject.

Thanks,

Troy Harvey
Heliocentric, LLC