HUP VS Rolls [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting ezra at lasqueti.net
Sun Mar 18 20:11:41 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hello all,

When I did some work for Apollo Solar (www.apollo-solar.net) I
produced a table of charging voltages for MPPT charge controller. I
contacted Surrette/Rolls and the values below reflect the mid point
between their minimum and maximum values. Many thanks to John Pfeifer
at Apollo Solar for allowing me to use his table. I personally run my
batteries a bit harder than these values but I am married to a
wonderful woman who looks after watering them. I equalize regularly,
especially during the winter months when I run them up to 31.5 on the
EQ cycle.

  	Voltages Per 2 Volt Cell	Temp Comp	12 Volt	24 Volt	48 Volt
  	Absorb	Float	Equalize	mV/deg C	Absorb	Float	Equalize	Absorb	Float
Equalize	Absorb	Float	Equalize
Surrette (Flooded)	2.40	2.21	2.58	-5.00	14.40	13.26	15.48	28.80	26.52
30.96	57.60	53.04	61.92

I'm happy with the results of running my batteries at these charging
voltages, it worked wonders on my old Yuasa's they lasted for over 13
years. I've been off grid for over 35 years and, not surprisingly,
through more than a few sets of batteries. What I've learned can
almost be summed up in a single sentence. "Charge them aggressively,
get the electrolyte warm, and don't be afraid to put water in them."

Regards,

Ezra

Ezra Auerbach
DragonSun Consulting