HUP VS Rolls [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 19:47:22 PDT 2007

Hi to all
Rolls batteries working for me.

I do not have the long term experiance of you three,
but I do have some customers with standalone with
Rolls batteries, the oldest two are just about 7+
years.   Both are still doing well.  Both I might add
felt a loss of capacity early on, and I discovered
that the cells were not getting fully recharged. (by
hydrometer)  In both cases I told the customers to do
a monthly check and recharge, ususally using their
generator. (as Ezra said silicone to lead ratio).

Also it seems to take a long time to recharge.
Perhaps the Rolls batteries have a different charge
voltage and time than other batteries.  Perhaps not.

I like all of you wish that both the solar sources and
charge controllers and batteries were easier to
understand and more forgiving in there application.

I have almost 9 years on my truck battery, but it is
never deep cycled, never left discharged, and gets a
14.4 absorbtion charge at least twice every day.  But
it is a cheap battery and so far still starts my
truck.

The story is in solar applications the applications
are the same only in being solar nothing else is the
same.

Darryl

--- "Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting"
<ezra at lasqueti.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> When I did some work for Apollo Solar
> (www.apollo-solar.net) I
> produced a table of charging voltages for MPPT
> charge controller. I
> contacted Surrette/Rolls and the values below
> reflect the mid point
> between their minimum and maximum values. Many
> thanks to John Pfeifer
> at Apollo Solar for allowing me to use his table. I
> personally run my
> batteries a bit harder than these values but I am
> married to a
> wonderful woman who looks after watering them. I
> equalize regularly,
> especially during the winter months when I run them
> up to 31.5 on the
> EQ cycle.
>

>   	Voltages Per 2 Volt Cell	Temp Comp	12 Volt	24
> Volt	48 Volt
>   	Absorb	Float	Equalize	mV/deg C	Absorb	Float
> Equalize	Absorb	Float
> Equalize	Absorb	Float	Equalize
> Surrette (Flooded)	2.40	2.21	2.58	-5.00	14.40	13.26
> 15.48	28.80	26.52
> 30.96	57.60	53.04	61.92
>
> I'm happy with the results of running my batteries
> at these charging
> voltages, it worked wonders on my old Yuasa's they
> lasted for over 13
> years. I've been off grid for over 35 years and, not
> surprisingly,
> through more than a few sets of batteries. What I've
> learned can
> almost be summed up in a single sentence. "Charge
> them aggressively,
> get the electrolyte warm, and don't be afraid to put
> water in them."
>
> Regards,
>
> Ezra
>

> Ezra Auerbach
> DragonSun Consulting
> Lasqueti Island, B.C. V0R 2J0
>
> ezra at lincsat.com
> 250 333 8650
>

> On 18-Mar-07, at 8:50 AM, Chris Worcester wrote:
>

> > Hi Roy,
> > That's 16 years or 5840 cycles on the IBE's. This
> is year 30 for me
> > being
> > off the corporate grid.
> > What to do about all those Surrette's out there
> now? I like to
> > bring up the
> > PV charge controller's bulk charging to around
> 28.8 to 29 daily on
> > the 24V
> > systems (57.6 to 58.0V on the 48V curve). This
> really works on the
> > old IBE's
> > and I'm wondering if others are using this sort of
> value on the
> > Rolls with
> > good results? Should this go up to 29.2V at 24
> nominal (58.4 at 48V)?
> > I don't want to work the batteries too hard on a
> daily basis but if
> > this is
> > what it takes for longevity let's do it.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Chris Worcester
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com