Reliable PV direct submersible? [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Feb 26 19:47:19 PST 2007

Mick,
Welcome to the club! I share everything you have said.

I won't install another ETA/Lorentz submersible. Too unreliable.

We are recommending the SQ Flex for array-direct, and SQ/SQE for AC power.
This is based on previous experiences shared by other Wrenches on this list.
So far no failures of any kind, but it hasn't been very many or very long
yet. (The SQE is easier to find in our area. It's the constant-pressure
model with electronic regulation, and it's the darling of conventional AC
pump installers. It can be used with a conventional pressure switch and
tank, just like the SQ.)

There's one other idea you might consider, and it might be a surprise,
although array-direct it will only produce over 700 gpd in the summer if
tracked, as it's about 1.65 gpm at 24V. We have been surprisingly satisfied
with the Shurflo 9300. We have repaired a lot of failed units, too. We like
it because it's reliable and predictable within its design limits. We tell
the customer to rebuild the pump every two years; diaphragm and valves. As
long as they're replaced regularly, water seldom leaks into the motor. Few
owners do this service (until they learn their lesson). We explain that this
pump isn't designed to set-and-forget. Rather, it needs routine service, but
parts are cheap and readily available and rebuilding is easy and quick.

The pump weighs 6 pounds and uses 1/2" poly pipe, so it's easy to remove and
set. Max head is 230', so it's always set by hand. And it's way less
expensive than anything else that fits this market niche. And we
occasionally but seldom have failures that aren't predictable.

Hope this helps, Mick.
Allan at Positive Energy