OB PS1 meter wiring [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sun Feb 18 06:09:56 PST 2007

Glenn Burt wrote:

> I am installing my first Outback PS1 system. the manual tells me
> that for the best metering I should install 2 seperate watt-hour meters
> on the unit. One in the AC in, and one in the AC out circuits.

Mick says: Since the PS-1 supports (downstream) AC loads and also can
spin the (upstream) utility meter backwards, the AC energy is delivered
in two paths. Therefore two kWh meters would be needed if you want to
track total AC delivered by the system over time.

The meter for "AC In" on a grid-tied Outback machine actually must read
energy moving both ways. A non-fancy glass dome type kWh meter  can
measure both ways, and is relatively low cost.  Non-standard wiring
hookup allows a 120/240 meter to work on only a 120 volt circuit. Here's
a wiring diagram, Glenn:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/eofcorp-store/240V.pdf

For the AC IN meter, consider connecting the PS-1 Hot as if that is your
LINE, and connect the grid Hot as if that is your LOAD. This way, the
upstream meter should clock sold kWh as positive integers.

To calculate monthly kWh delivered by the system, here's the math: (IN
Meter Now - IN Meter Last Month) + (OUT Meter Now - OUT Meter Last
Month)= total AC kWh delivered for that month. Since the glass dome
meters are not resettable, that requires more math & record keeping than
ideal.

The Brand Electronics 20-CTR meters are resettable with a pushbutton and
are non-confusing to use, but these can't read backwards & forwards.
Brand's "One Meter" is worth a look but I've never tried this.

I'd like to know Wrench opinions on the One Meter or on other resettable
electronic meters that can read backwards & forwards.

Mick Abraham
Abraham Solar Equipment
Pagosa Springs, CO
www.abrahamsolar.com