Polaris underground splice failure [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Fri Jun 1 08:44:21 PDT 2007

In the past we have used barrel crimps or mechanical splice blocks, gooped
with no-alox, and then heavy wall heat shrink (with glue).  About 1 hour per
splice labor.  I saw an add calling out how "easy" and quick it was to use
the NSI Polaris "Blue" underground splice kit.

It was quick to install... but failed with burn through insulation at the
"cap" adjacent to mech. fastener. On two legs or to ground (?)  We
re-checked the instructions and we did everything right.  It was wind genny
output 250-350 VAC.

Have you all used these or similar products with success?  This may be a bad
unit - we are pursuing it with the manufacturer and I will report back.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
President
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.