balancing a 3-phase panel? [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 18:06:59 PDT 2007

Geoff,

On new buildings, in the specifications under Div. 16, the electrical
engineer will sometimes call for 3 phase legs to be balanced within __%.
I think it is 5 % but I'm not sure.  This is refering to the loads of
course, but it is the same principle.  Acutally the PV is a negative
load from that point of view.  Since loads are always changing it is
just a general guideline.

If you put an amprobe on the 400 amp main and found Phase A to be 10%
higher than Phases B and C and you hooked up to Phase B and C with 15%
input of PV then the resulting 25% variance may be off some concern.
You would want to hook up to AB or AC to level things out a bit.

I havnen't found it to be a problem so far on 600 amp services with
12kw.  The 2 6kw inverters were combined in a panel so that only 1 phase
overlapped when it was fed into the system.

Steve Johnson
LightWave Solar Electric
Nashville, Tennessee

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com