HUP batteries [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Feb 26 17:52:57 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

I have a possible install with a pair of 12 volt HUP Solar 1
batteries to be wired in series.  They don't look like they are
particularly designed for a solar installation.

They weigh about 1750 pounds apiece, and and come integrally
installed in metal cases.  The metal cases have hinged metal lids.

There is little good access to run conduits to the cases, as the only
openings are oblong holes.  The metal cases are very thick, and the
battery terminals are very close to the heavy metal.

My question is how can these be safely and code compliantly installed.

To be code compliant, the metal certainly should be grounded, but
this would create a hazard due to the fact that all of the terminals
would be close to the case, which would become a giant negative
terminal.  The large batteries have a tremendous amount of punch.

Should the entire "battery" be put in a large plywood box, with the
metal battery covers removed?  Should the metal cases be carefully
isolated from ground?  What methods have been successfully tried?

Thanks,

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com