Energy efficiency standards [RE-wrenches]

Daryl DeJoy penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Sat Nov 11 08:12:47 PST 2006

Hi Geoff,
   I hear you, but programs like this are always in need of "tweaking". I
might suggest an EE rating based on a per person usage basis, possibly
with the base usage being somewhere around 100 kwh per month and having
the per person usage on top of that. We are finding in Maine that most
of the PV money is going to high energy use people with a lot of money
with no incentive to be more energy efficient. It's enough for them
that they appear green. Of course, that is a general statement, but it
holds true as an average. The state is concerned that the money for the
program, which comes from an energy efficiency program called
"Efficiency Maine" which gives direct rebates for energy efficiency, is
going to people who do not hold any real standard for energy efficiency
and also do not necessarily "need" the money from the rebate, say
homeowners of net incomes of over $200,000 per year (high in Maine).
This is discouraging them from want ing to renew the program next year
and I am trying to find reasonable compromises based on EE standards.
   Any input is welcome.
Daryl

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php