Energy efficiency standards [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Fri Nov 10 07:09:26 PST 2006

Hi Daryl-

Be careful what you ask for!  Our small state incentive program has an EE
req. for residential projects that is well intentioned but unfair in some
ways and frustrating for customers that don't make the cut.  For existing
customers they must have a 12 month history with non-heating and cooling
months (the "shoulder months") averaging less than 650 Kwh/month.  While us
off-griders scoff and go on to tell tales of 100 kwh/month and less, some
folks (with teenagers and electric HW and electric dryers) just can't make
the cut.  We have all seen dramatic cuts through lighting change outs and a
new fridge, but as written our rules unfairly favor small families and
houses that happen to have DHW and clothes dryers on gas.  New construction
must be energy star rated (also unfair, as they could be 5-star and be big
consumers based on lifestyle.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner