Xantrex 3.0 [RE-wrenches]

Jonah Liebes jliebes at heliopower.com
Wed Oct 18 10:13:54 PDT 2006

Hi All,

We've installed over 200 Xantrex 3.0's, 3.3's and 3.8's in the last couple
of years and have had at least 25 failures. Almost all problems have been
with the 3.0's. Typical error messages are "insufficient solar energy",
"inverter off-line" or nothing at all.

One common characteristic of the failures is what I assume is a short in the
inverter. With the inverter's AC/DC disconnect in the ON position, a Vmeter
will read 0VDC between the + and - terminals. A DC amp clamp will read Isc
from the array at that time too. Once you turn off the switch, the VDC will
read the anticipated VOC of the connected strings and current goes to zero.
I've had techs read 0VDC at the inverter and start checking the roof for
array problems when the Xantrex was to blame. An arching sound is heard when
the switch is opened too.

Also, most of our failures are of the early 3.0's and the replacements are
of the new design. The body design change defeats the handy separable wire
box feature that was so attractive about the unit in the first place. We do
continue to use the whole Xantrex line on and off grid, but they've been our
least reliable inverter by far compared to SMA, SHARP, and MAGNETEK.

Jonah Liebes
NABCEP cert.
Director of Operations
www.heliopower.com