*** SPAM *** RE: Outback FX voltage fun [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 07:46:41 PDT 2006

Hugh
This sounds like a surge problem.  In many situations
we have motors and heavy inductive loads starting and
stoping, this puts surges on the line.  The only
difference is yours happens every cycle.  The energy
surge per cycle does not sound very high, but the
repetive nature will increase the power to be dispated
by the surge arrester.  Perhaps an industrial (400
volt MOV or the other type) arrestor could tame the
surge voltage.
Darryl

--- Hugh Piggott <hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk> wrote:

> thanks Chris,
>
> >   Effectively - The OutBack charger is sending the
> power
> >from the generator to the battery - but since the
> battery is so "stiff"
> >some of the energy gets reflected back at the
> generator.  Often the
> >response time of the generator's voltage regulator
> is fairly slow - so
> >the AC output voltage of the generator jumps up
> since there is nowhere
> >for the power to flow.
>
> I guess this is an inductive spike due to suddenly
> switching off the current.
> >

> >The two solutions I have used with issues like this
> on OutBack and other
> >inverters is to add some HV motor run capacitors
> (20 to 50 mF) across
> >the AC output of the generator itself or to ensure
> that there is a
> >resistive load on the generator when the charger is
> running.
>
> OK thanks I'll try a 20 uF cap next time and I will
> put a water
> heater on as well.  It may be a while before I get
> around to it -
> depends on the wind.
>
> All the best,
>
> --