dedicated AC disconnects [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Aug 24 06:41:22 PDT 2006

Hi Andrew -

This is a relic of an issue and hopefully more and more utilities will be
going the way of your DC utility (and some west coast and one of the
utilities in our service area, Duke/Cinergy.)  Most of the utilities we work
with require a "visible, lockable, exterior disconnect".  We have been
educating them that this is redundant, never used, and a (most effectively)
that many utilities are skipping this requirement.  The utility linesman
still has the ability to pull the meter, but again, it is a non-issue.

This can be a very big expense in a school or large commercial building
where you could have a short, easy AC home run to the closest sub panel VS a
long difficult Home Run to an appropriate exterior wall, then back to a
point of interconnection (and factoring in AC voltage drop and the price of
copper doubling every six minutes).

Battery based systems with inverters listed for interconnection meet the
same standard.  You still need a way to isolate the inverter as per NEC -
often most easily done with the back fed AC breaker if you are next to the
panel, otherwise a non-fused Air Conditioning Disco is the low cost option.
While Fronius does have built in AC breaker - this (and their built in DC
breaker) does not meet a strict interpretation of the code.  The Xantrex GT
set up does, with the "mothership/docking" top and bottom set up.

Question:  Has anyone successfully argued that an exterior DC disco (pole
mounted for example) or wind tower mounted AC disco would meet this utility
requirement?

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner