array expansion strategery [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Mon Aug 14 15:44:29 PDT 2006

Hi Andy,
First, I would recommend getting rid of the SW/GTI/C-40 system altogether
for a grid-tie. It's terribly inefficient - probably less than 50% from PV's
to AC. They can be resold easily on Ebay. The C-40's are great to use for
secondary dump loads or load controls.

Then:
If battery backup is important (say for a well) go with an Outback GTFX
system with the existing batteries, plus a MX-60 charge controller. A 3048
can handle all of the existing plus new array size. A second inverter could
be added later to handle more expansion. Or, use a single, vented (3648)
inverter for the entire future array size. Besides being much more
efficient, the Outback inverter (made in WA) gets your customer an
additional 3 cents/KWH in the WA State production incentive program, which
pays off well over time (use this as a selling point).

If battery backup isn't so important as cost effectiveness then get a
grid-tied inverter sized for the entire future array size. If the new PV's
are different than the existing ones you may want to consider a multi-string
inverter (with separate MPPT).

That's my 2-cents. More than a penny, I know, but with the price of
copper....

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems