deep battery discharge [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Jul 28 11:05:35 PDT 2006

Ron,
Not certain, but you may need a higher voltage to "wake up" the SB50.
Certainly the batteries will accept a charge. Try bypassing the SB (both +
and -) and leave it that way until voltage rises.

Also, a single SB50 is a poor choice in this situation, as it can't handle
750 watts at 12V. Blue Sky suggests a maximum of 40A input, as that allows a
20% boost to 50A output, and current is limited to 50A output at whatever
battery voltage you have. 50A at 12V is 600W of array. Any more than that is
only going to help in early/late charging hours and overcast skies. I don't
know the degree of overcurrent protection built into the controller; it may
have been damaged by consistent overloading. Try bypassing the input
directly to the batteries, while leaving the battery connection in place; if
it doesn't wake up after the voltage rises, it may be the toast.

At a C/30 rate (750/12 = 62.5; 1900/62.5 = 30), his array is too small for
those batteries anyway. It can't fill them completely or equalize them.

Allan at Positive Energy