deep battery discharge [RE-wrenches]

Rick Cullen - Blue Sky Energy rick at blueskyenergyinc.com
Fri Jul 28 12:11:48 PDT 2006

Gentleman,

Assuming the SB50 is not damaged it will operate with battery voltage down
to ~9V. If output current is low, first confirm that both the unit is in
Bulk and battery voltage remains low. If the battery is very very
discharged, damaged, or sulfated it may have a very high series impedance
such that voltage rises to the charge voltage setpoint but little current is
delivered. If this is what is happening the SB50 is likely OK and the
batteries are the problem.

If battery voltage remains low with the SB50 in Bulk and there is still
little current, then the bypassing the controller test is the next step. If
the bypass test produces the high current you expect then the problem is
likely with the SB50. If it does not then the problem is likely with the
PV's or their wiring.

The 40A Isc recommended limit is to comply with NEC 1.25 derating. With
typical modules this translates to ~670W into a 12V battery or ~1340W into a
24V battery. The 50 rating is also the current limit value. If array power
is such that output current would exceed 50A, the SB50 will go into current
limit and not let more than 50A flow.

Regards,
Richard A. Cullen
Blue Sky Energy, Inc.