Patio Structure [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 11 06:23:36 PDT 2006

Hi
I have built a few, The problem I find is shear
strength. If the Patio structure is attatched to the
house or other structure the shear is handled by the
other structure.  If the patio structure is free
standing the cost or the columns and foundation is
increased.

I am an OK carpenter not a structural engineer, so I
can,t sign any prints.
Darryl
--- Jim  Duncan <ntrei at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Wrenches...I have found more and more homes being
> built here in the
> North Texas area with ridiculous shaped roofs. The
> fashionable thing
> this decade seems to be a steep pitch and lots of
> ridges. Seems the
> simple rectangular house with a modest pitch and a
> large flat area is
> out of style.
> It also makes a large area suitable for an array of
> PV non-existent.
> Still these folks want PV. They just didn't think of
> this before they
> went house shopping.
> So I am finding a lot of interest in systems mounted
> on a wooden patio
> cover. A www search found a lot of traditional
> 'trellis' styled
> structures. Some are freestanding and some attached
> to the roof or back
> wall. All designs look too fragile for even a modest
> PV array.
> Where can I get my hands on a design that is
> specifically meant for an
> array? I don't really want to have to pay a SE to
> redesign the wheel for
> me. If I must, I would rather pay the fees to
> someone in the trade.
> Thanks as always
> Jim Duncan
> North Texas Renewable Energy Inc